REALTORS to review policy on Surrey Suites
The city has made some plans for secondary suites:
1. Make it easier for emergency personnel to locate people who need assistance;
2. Raise the safety standards of secondary suites by ensuring they comply with fire and building code requirements;
3. Help address neighborhood issues such as parking;
4. Recognize the value of suites in helping homebuyers with their mortgages while providing affordable homes to groups such as students;
5. Include a "grace period" to allow existing suites to come into compliance without property owners having to spend a lot of money; and
6. Increase the value of homes which have suites.